Romsey Men’s Shed Home Page
17th May 2017 – Romsey Relay Marathon update
Romsey Men’s Shed fielded a team at the Barratt Homes Relay Marathon held at Broadlands on Sunday 14th May. The team of 10 members was made up of RMS members, family and friends and completed the 26 mile course in 3 hours and 27 minutes, coming 23rd out of almost 100 teams, an excellent result.
As a result of sponsorship and support, we raised almost £1700 which will allow us to move ahead with the construction of the shed this summer. Thanks to everyone who supported us so generously.
A special thanks to all our local business supporters shown HERE
18th April 2017 GREAT NEWS
We learned today that Romsey Men’s Shed has been awarded a ‘50% matching’ grant of almost £21,000 from the Test Valley BC Community Asset Fund.
This means that we only have to raise the same amount to achieve the total of £42,000 required to build and equip the shed plus accessible washroom.
Many thanks to Louise and Marianne at TVBC for supporting us in this project.
Romsey Men’s Shed online survey
Romsey Men’s Shed committee is looking to establish a working shed in Romsey Town. To do this, we will need to raise a significant amount of money which we hope will come from a variety of sources, most of which require proof that the project has support from the community. If you have a few minutes spare, we would be very grateful if you could complete this online questionnaire to offer us your support and/or comments.
The online questionnaire can be found HERE
What is a Men’s Shed ?
- A Men’s Shed is usually a larger version of the typical man’s garden shed.
- It is somewhere to feel at home, have a laugh, socialise, pursue leisure interests and stay active.
- It can be where a group of men work on projects of their own choosing or as a group going at their own pace and in a safe, friendly and inclusive environment.
- It can be a place to capture and pass on skills and craftsmanship between each other.
- The shed can also be a place just to come and sit for a while, have a chat over a cup of tea, or play a game of one sort or another.
To find out more about Men’s Sheds:
- To view the Wikipedia entry for Men’s Sheds click HERE
- For an introductory 4 minute BBC video called ‘Getting inside a Men’s Shed’ click HERE
- For a short film about the Gosport Men’s Shed click HERE
- The history of Men’s Sheds in the world and Romsey click HERE
Do we have a Shed in Romsey ?
The answer to this question is both No and Yes !
At the time of writing (July 2016) we don’t have a physical shed in which we can, for example, make things together. However, this does not stop us doing what Men’s Sheds are all about.
What we have is a room (at Romsey School) in which we meet once a week for around 2 hours, drink tea/coffee and discuss our progress towards having a real shed of our own (as well as generally trying to solve the world’s problems by discussion). We also get involved in local activities (e.g. The Mayor’s Picnic) and make things for local ‘good causes’ in our own workshops and garages.
How do I get involved ?
We meet most Thursdays at 10:30 in a room at the Romsey School, Greatbridge Road, Romsey. The room is in a building known as ‘Company House’ which is on the left as you enter the Romsey School site. We encourage members to walk or cycle but if you choose to come by car, there are parking spaces designated for Men’s Shed in the car park of the school furthest away from the main entrance.
If you are interested in joining us in this venture, please fill in the contact form HERE and Graham will contact you by phone or email.